Art and Production Director
Inside Climate News is seeking to hire an inspired Art and Production Director to join our award-winning news organization.
The Art and Production Director will work with senior staff to produce and post stories daily, produce and send multiple email newsletters weekly, thoughtfully design and present investigative and explanatory packages, curate and select photographs, and create and/or commission compelling and creative illustrations and visual content for our website and social platforms. The director will also help develop and produce business-side collateral and other products, and advise and collaborate on relevant web development. It’s an exciting and rewarding position of responsibility offering opportunity and great scope for career growth and leadership.
The Art and Production Director will need to be a multi-tasking team player who works with steadiness, collegiality and a solid work ethic, including being highly organized, reliable and exacting.
The following qualifications, or their equivalents, are also essential:
- A degree in design or equivalent professional training.
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years’ work experience, with work samples that demonstrate a facility for story production, journalistic news judgment, proficiency in digital design, refined aesthetic sensibility and flair.
- Demonstrated experience working in WordPress and Mailchimp, as well as thorough knowledge of HTML, CSS and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Knowledge of SEO and how to optimize URLs and headlines.
- Enthusiasm for envisioning new ways for ICN to succeed and the ability to strategically bring those plans to fruition.
- An understanding of audience engagement and social media.
- The ability to bring diverse and unique insights to ICN’s user experience, and ambition and ability to build a team over time as our work expands.
- Knowledge of science, environment and climate, and/or civil rights, social and racial justice a plus.
Our News Organization
- Founded in 2007, Inside Climate News is an independent, nonprofit, non-partisan news organization covering the biggest crisis facing our planet. With 27 full-time staff members, we operate one of the largest and most influential environmental newsrooms in the country.
- We have a nucleus in New York City, a presence in Washington D.C., and staff working from California to Florida, in Texas, Arizona, Alabama and Kentucky, in Colorado, Ohio, Illinois, Pennsylvania and Massachusetts. Good ideas propel the operation, wherever they originate.
- As part of our work in the public interest, ICN’s national partnership network collaborates with more than a hundred news outlets throughout the U.S. to strengthen local reporting on climate, energy and environmental justice
- Our robust fellows program helps train the next generation of climate journalists.
- We have earned national recognition for our work and many of the most prestigious awards in journalism, including the Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting (2013) and recognition as a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service (2016).
- For more about ICN, please see our About page.
Salary range: $60,000-$70,000, commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance plans; 401k matching; and generous paid time off.
Inside Climate News is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and welcomes applications from candidates of any background or identity. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
To Get on Our Radar
If you’d like to explore a fit with ICN, please get in touch and let’s start a conversation. A big plus of any of these jobs is good knowledge of the climate and energy arena—the history, the issues and the major players.
Send your résumé and a cover letter. Please explain to us what you want to do and why you would be a good fit. Send to [email protected], subject line QUERY.